Little Acorns Forest Schools Ltd was founded by me, Dave Churchward, in late 2014. Dave had moved back from Germany that Summer and was filled with a passion to start Forest School Stay and Play sessions for pre-school children at Moira Furnace. At the time, the sessions were run from the back of my car with bookings being written down from verbal conversations or through a facebook message. Five years later, we have grown as a result of this and Stay and Play for pre-school children has always been at the very heart of what we do at Little Acorns Forest Schools Ltd. We always pride ourselves on the individual needs of the child when delivering our sessions. The sessions are always child-led, with a theme to work from, but not rigidly followed.
Take up from local parents and carers enabled me to extend the provision and since then we are very proud of how Little Acorns has grown to provide Forest School programmes and sessions to a range of local schools and educational establishments.
We are now able to run from two separate sites -one at Hicks Lodge and one at East Carlton Country Park, where we deliver the following programmes;
1. A thriving Home Education weekly group for 5 to 12 year olds,where learners are on site taking part in organised Forest School long term programmes.
2. Stay and Play sessions run daily during the school term at Hicks Lodge in Moira and now running twice a week at East Carlton Country Park near Market Harborough.
3. Long term Forest School programmes to several schools across the area, providing advice and woodland management to a more diverse range of schools locally and further afield.
4. Birthday parties for all ages – from pre school with play based sessions and outdoor cooking, to older parties (the oldest being a 40th Birthday party so far!) which have included tool use and fire making activities.
5. Corporate and School development training days on site – specialising in leadership and outdoor skills.
6. Little Acorns Forest Schools Ltd now provides Forest School Training from Level 1 to Level 3 Leader with qualified and competent trainers with a wealth of first hand experience and knowledge.
7. First Aid training and delivery on a range of skills – Outdoor First Aid, Forestry worker First Aid, Paediatric and both Emergency and full First Aid at Work courses.
8. We also provide Safeguarding and Mental Health First Aid to compliment anyone working within the educational environment.
9. Bushcraft sessions for beginners, from our resident Bushcraft expert too!
With the rising requirement for Forest School leaders in educational establishments across the country and the increasing knowledge about climate change and how it will affect us, the need for getting outdoors and understanding it, has never been so important. This is why we hope to grow to deliver more Forest School sessions and programmes to the wider community.